Monday, September 13, 2010

Travel Light = Simple Life

This week sermon is 'Travel Light, Think Right, Talk Straight" on Mark 6:7-13.

Um...Travel light, am I? Properly not. I always try to pack light, but usually find at least three or four pieces of fresh clothes at the end of my trips. I guess if I have this issue during travel, I have the same problem at home and in my life.

You know I am having a baby girl and it's fun to shop for those lovely girl clothes. You properly know that I did say that I have bought way more than enough clothes for her. I feel guilty. I know it's my first child and most mommies committed the same mistake. My issue is not just about spoiling her, I may set myself up for "owning" her instead of "looking after" her. The more love I pour for her, the more concerns I have on her. The more concerns I have, the more guidance I will give her. She will become a mini me or "I wanna be" instead of being herself. Will I travel light if I have so many concerns? I will say no to that.

At a personal level, I think I need to learn how to say "enough" to myself and stop buying and owning stuff. For being a mom, I need to keep reminding myself that she is an individual and I am the designated care provider for her for a period of time...and with that, I should let God to mold her and shape her to be the person HE wants her to be.

We could fix our eyes on God only when we travel light in this world.

No comments: